New Religion Appears: Roman Catholicism
Then, a new religion showed up: Roman Catholicism. They did many evil
things that contradicted the Bible:
- They said they had a man, the Pope, who could speak for God with the
infallibility of Jesus or prophets.
- They taught a version of salvation based on a mix of faith and works
we did instead of trusting in what Jesus did. Sacraments are an example.
- They treated Mary and specific people like gods by praising them,
praying to them, and venerating them.
- They restricted access to the Word of God. They burned
alive Tyndale for trying to make an English Bible for the common
- During the Inquisitions,
they tortured and murdered many people. Corrupt Protestants have committed similar
- They charged money for indulgences. They claimed they could forgive
your sins on behalf of God, wanted money for it, and even demanded the
poor pay for forgiveness.
- They justified every change by putting what mere men said above the
Word of God. They still do this today.
Like in the Bible, God sent a man to warn them to repent. Martin Luther
was a Catholic priest. He protested selling indulgences for money. Reading
the Word of God, he also re-discovered that we're saved by faith in Christ
alone. He tried to reform the Catholic Church. Pope Leo X condemned and
Luther and others formed Protestantism to return to the Word of God as
sole authority on life. They said we're saved by faith in Christ. They
also started putting the Word of God into the hands of common people.
Protestants taught them theology, too. The Catholic Church tried to stop
all of this but God made the real Gospel spread like a wildfire.
back, main page, or go to
the next section.)